Svartalfar (literally but inaccurately dark elf) are the descendants of humans who sought refuge in the Shadowfell following the collapse of their kingdom. These humans were tainted by shadow stuff as a result of their self imposed exile and were transformed into something not quite human any more. In the end they sold themselves body and soul to the Raven Queen in exchange for her protection from the many threats in the Shadowfell.
Now svartalfar have pale, almost white, skin and their hair is either bone white or jet black. They prefer to dress in dark colors and generally their cloths have a death or bone motif to them. Some svartalfar mark themselves with piercings and all of them mark significant events in their life with tattoos. They are a strict meritocracy and most svartalfar adventurers are trying to make their mark.
- +2 to One Ability Score: Svartalfar characters get a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.
- Medium: Svartalfar are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Base speed for a svartalfar is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: Svartalfar can see twice as far as a human in dim lighting conditions.
- Child of the Shadows: Svartalfar have cold resistance 5 and electricity resistance 5. Perception and Stealth are always class skills for svartalfar characters.
- Shadow Blending: Attacks against a svartalfar in dim light have a 50% miss chance instead of the normal 20% miss chance. This ability does not grant total concealment; it just increases the miss chance.
- Spell-Like Abilities (Su): A svartalfar can use Darkness once per day as a spell like ability.
- Svartalfar characters begin play speaking Common and Svartalfar. Characters with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Abyssal, Aklo, Elven, Goblin, Infernal, Orc, and Sylvan.