Shardminds are a race born of living crystal. They were created when the gate that seperated the Astral Sea from the Far Realm was shattered during the Dawn War. The gate was a living being in it's own right and the shards bonded with other crystals and the shardminds were born. Sensing the humanoid beings that populated the world around them, and they grew bodies to match the races they sensed.
Shardminds are living beings only in the loosed sense. They do not need to eat, sleep, or drink and they only require six hours of rest to recover spells if they are trained in arcane or divine magic. Their alien thought processes make them resistant to certain types of magic. They also do not reproduce in the same sense as other beings do. If a shardmind feels the need to reproduce, it will "grow" a crystal bud and then place that bud in a place which has a high crystal content. The bud then draws on the surrounding crystal to create a new body. The new shardmind is "born" fully grown and shares all the same memories as it's "parent." However, as it has it's own experiences it develops into it's own being.
- +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Shardminds are very hardy and insightful, but they are alien in both appearance and thought.
- Medium: Shardminds are medium creatures and suffer no bonuses and penalties based on size.
- Normal Speed: Base speed for a shardmind is 30 ft.
- Arcane Mind: Shardminds gain a +2 racial bonus to Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (the planes) skill checks.
- Shardmind Immunties: Shardminds are immune to magic sleep spells and effects. They also recieve a +2 racial bonus to resist enchantment spells and effects.
- Living Crystal: Shardminds do not need to eat, drink, breath, or sleep. As a result they never suffer the effects of starvation, thirst, suffication, or drowning.
- Telepathic: Shardminds have Telepathy out to 100 ft.
- Languages: Shardminds begin play speaking Common. Shardminds with high Intelligence scores may learn any language. As telepathic creatures they may even learn secret languages.